If you prefer online communication, you open a completely new dating scene. There are millions of people who would like to stand out, so the level of competitiveness is high. That’s why there are so many articles on the internet on safe dating — teaching amateurs how to succeed in virtual chatting fast and without significant losses of resources.
However, a lot of attention is also paid to how comfortable and convenient communication itself is. Service providers of safe online dating sites use their special techniques and advanced technologies to ensure illegal customers (by that, we mean catfishing enthusiasts, fraudsters, and scammers) won’t be able to reach out to their target audience, but it is a super challenging and daunting task. From this perspective, your safety and cybersecurity are in your own hands.
Is it possible to eliminate the risk or reduce the possible negative consequences of such an acquaintance? Absolutely. But it is always better to be well-prepared beforehand to feel more confident about what you write and to whom. Following simple rules and getting automatized self-alarm signals will help you be up in arms whenever you open a new dialogue with a stranger.
User Steps for Safe Casual Dating Online
Of course, there is no separate internet etiquette. Your manners shouldn’t differ, depending on the environment and channels of communication. Whether somewhere in your local area, abroad or online, customers have to be respectful towards others and avoid any sort of offensive and annoying behavior. We don’t mean some specific rules that are valid in a particular country only. This usually relates to facial expressions and gestures:
- Patting on the head — in many Asian countries, such an action will show you as an extremely rude person who doesn’t respect others’ private space.
- Thumbs up — usually, it refers to expressing that everything is alright or you completely agree with the interlocutor’s offer/statement, etc., but a more negative connotation is implemented by residents in Iraq and some nearby states.
- Nodding your head — there are numerous cases when gestures you are accustomed to really have the opposite meaning in another land. For example, if you nod your head in Bulgaria, it will represent your disagreement, not vice versa.
Safe dating requires customers to be super attentive and increase their knowledge about other nations’ culture. Even if you are not interested in building an everlasting love with someone out of your social circle, it doesn’t mean you can’t have a chat with people who share other core values and beliefs. Any cross-cultural relationships are demanding in terms of consumers’ abilities to stay open-minded and tolerant. The latter desire to keep on positive acting in front of your interlocutors on online dating platforms can lead to unexpected results. Without a doubt, there are numerous ill-minded users who would prefer to take their own benefits from vulnerable groups of users.
Online dating helps not to feel lonely and unappreciated by other people. In this state of mind, some individuals are especially sensitive and somewhat naive, so instead of comfortable chat breaks, such a guy/girl achieves financial assistance requests or divergent denunciation in order to get a manipulative influence on the partner. Of course, the scenario described above won’t happen to everyone. But if you would like to eliminate even a single chance of that happening, it is high time to think seriously about safe dating on the internet.
Basic Netiquette Rules for Safe Online Dating
As you already know, manners on the internet are not significantly different from those in real life. However, anonymity available for global net users makes some people wear a new mask and try acting unexpectedly and uncontrollably. This opportunity to stay scot-free and non-punished for any actions, words, and expressions in the net, regardless of how rude and cruel they may be, contributes to a growing disregard for such simple rules.
But it is a great mistake to think the internet offers absolute anonymity. Don’t forget about hackers and programmers who know more about the way this virtual universe works. Anything texted or said online should be revealed with the understanding that others will find out about it sooner or later.
To become responsible users, remember the fundamental rules of online behavior:
- Before you say or do anything, you should know the rules of the site. Some chat rooms and forums have special rules that clarify what a user is allowed to say and do. Since many people are critical of those who break the rules, learning them may save you from unnecessary embarrassment.
- Think before you type. Make sure you post things that are acceptable and will not lead to a conflict. The only thing you can be sure of is that what you say online may come back to haunt you. If online dating sites save your chats, your partner can always prove that you were wrong or make a screenshot of your unacceptable behavior to engage the platform’s support team in the troubleshooting process.
- Don’t post false information or rude comments about another person on your bio or in a chat room. Negative campaigning and advertising don’t work in this medium at all. When it comes to maintaining long-distance relationships, nobody would prefer suffering from someone’s disrespectful behavior when they can block that person.
- Try not to waste other users’ time — forget about sending some spam emails and non-informative messages, transmitting cyber rumors, pranking other interlocutors, and more.
- It is not recommended to type in capital letters. Of course, it is important to follow grammar and spelling rules to show that you are an educated personality. People on the net pay a lot of attention to how well you can express your opinions. But this format of speech can be seen as shouting, provoking argument, or conflict.
Tips for Using Free Safe Dating Sites
If you don’t like to be blocked and would do everything possible to verify your account is a safe place to proceed with active online dating, here are a few more pieces of advice to bear in mind:
- When registering on a social network, you should use original and complex passwords consisting of different letters and numbers, with at least 12 characters. Ideally, the password should be a phrase or word without repetitive letters, with a few capital letters and numbers. Try not to use consecutive characters.
- Using a unique password for each individual account is important for increasing the user’s security. For example, your social networking account password and your email password should not be the same.
- To make the account even more secure, it is recommended to enable two-factor authentication. Along with the password, this method requires a unique code, the owner of which is the user only. It is generated either by the online service providers of safe local safe dating platforms or by a special third-party application installed on your target device.
- Spot the scam signs and get rid of that person from your list of friends on safe dating websites. Has an online love interest asked you for any sort of backup services (for financial assistance)? Romance scammers prefer professing their sincerest feelings quickly by applying flowery language and asking your private information to dive into communication with you. If you hesitate, slow down and talk to someone to get a piece of advice. Take your time to analyze the other singleton’s actions and deeds to decide whether it is the right moment to finish your communication.
Depending on the platform, terms and conditions vary. In turn, you should check carefully which policies this or that free safe dating site offers. Then you will implement your security measures to the full extent and in a better personalized manner. Contacting the support team will also give you the chance to check whether you will have to solve the occurred issues on your own or with professional association and backup.
Wrap It Up
If you neglect the main principles of safe online dating or would prefer scammer platforms with unreliable reputation, you can approximately estimate your real chances to find a lover. Simplicity may seem boring, but all of the described above will come in handy for sure. It’s not an obligatory task to subscribe to paid solutions only — there are free platforms that aren’t worse in the terms of quality at all.
Successful impression about your dating experience depends not only on the people with whom you chat. Safe dating will be possible if service providers take care about their system, ensuring UX and UI testing results are more than satisfactory. A great impact belongs to your awareness of possible consequences caused by your actions. Be careful and attentive — then love will find the best path to be implemented in your life.